After having one of my own businesses get nearly all of its reviews filtered. I started testing the best way to avoid filtered Yelps.
Getting your client Yelp reviews filtered can be frustrating for both the business owner and the reviewer. I have many a business owners who come to me asking for advice on this situation specifically.
Based on my research of Yelps process for filtering I have determined a few factors that the algorithm considers. These factors when put in place have seen a 90% improvement in filtered Reviews:
– Is your Yelp account connected to Facebook? I have proven data that if Facebook and Yelp are connected you have a better chance of not being filtered.
– The frequency of check-ins on your mobile device. Yelp is looking for the active Yelper – Check-ins are part of this. Retail or Restaurant? Offer check-in specials at your location. Location tracking ensures the written review, later on, is validated. This will allow remind the reviewer with each login to comment on their experience.
– Friends on Yelp via Facebook, e-mail, etc. More than 3 friends have shown a reduction in filtered reviews.
– Compliments. Giving someone compliments. We noticed If I complimented other nonfriend reviewers this showed improvement.
– IP address. If you have reviews coming from the same IP address – they will filter the review out 1 in 3 reviews.
– Sliding Scale. Finally, just like your American History grade in High School, a sliding scale is used. If you have 300 reviews and your competitors only have 60. You will have reviews filtered.
Other Yelp related questions? Just start a conversation with us on True Chat.